Monday 19 May 2014

Bugs and Blooms

Recently I've been on a few of trips in deepest, darkest Somerset.

A couple of weeks ago I was on the Somerset Levels, the first time I'd visited since the horrendous flooding. It was good to see (at least in the part that I visited) that the area is nearly back to normal.


 
 
 




There were plenty of damselflies around but I didn't spot any dragonflies. I'm no damselfly expert and identifying them can be a bit of a minefield as there is a certain amount of variability in the markings of the blue species but I think the following show either Azure damselflies (Coenagrion puella) or Variable Damselflies (Coenagrion pulchellum) and a Large red damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula):

 
 

 
 
 
 
My next trip was to a secret location 'somewhere in Somerset'. I'd heard of an unspoiled meadow that was supposedly full of orchids and after some investigation found someone who knew where it was and was willing to tell me. So many sites are damaged that I won't reveal the location but here's what I found:


Green winged orchids (Orchis morio)






 
Green winged orchid (pink variety)

 
 
 
Water forget-me-not (Myosotis scorpioides)




Red clover (Trifolium pratense)
 
 
 
 
Greater spearwort (Ranunculus lingua)
 



Common fumitory (Fumaria officinalis)
 
 
 
 
More Green winged orchids
 
 
 
 
 
 
My last trip was to Broomfield Hill near Bridgwater to see this year's spectacular display of bluebells:
 

 






 
English or Common bluebell (Hyacinthoides non-scripta)
&
Red campion (Silene dioica)
 
 
 If I've mis-identified anything here please comment and I'll amend the page.
 
 
Catch you later!
 



 

2 comments:

  1. Hi David, I really like your photography, I don't know how you managed to take damselflies so clearly and closely!
    (I read that you wanted to make your images larger, maybe you should try to make your sidebar smaller with the creation tool)
    Cool post
    Béatrice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beatrice, thank you so much! And thank you for posting the very first comment on my very first blog!
    The damselflies were very cooperative- the camera was just a few centimetres away and they weren't fussed at all!
    Thanks for the advice on fixing the image size - I'll try that for my next post.
    David xx

    ReplyDelete